North East Volunteer Fire Department
The Borough and Township of North East are served by two all volunteer fire companies; Fuller Hose Co. No. 1 and Crescent Hose Co. No. 2.
Both fire companies are funded each year through the North East Fireman's Cherry Festival held annually during the second week of July.
Fuller Hose Company No. 1 was organized December 31, 1885. Mr. Ezra N. Fuller donated $100 towards the purchase of a hand drawn hose cart. The Company was named in his honor. Fuller Hose was located at the rear of The Trivett House on Robinson Street.
With the completion of the water system North East Borough enacted Ordinance #60 on March 3, 1886 to protect the town. Early records of Fuller Hose indicate an aggressive campaign to become an able hose company. At the December 31, 1885 meeting, 26 men were enrolled as members and officers. Fuller Hose incorporated July 7, 1891. December 21, 1894, Fuller Hose Company bought property on South Pearl Street and built at that location. Fuller Hose still occupies the same location today with 4 high volume tankers and pumpers and 2 auxiliary vehicles for fighting brush fires and a certified dive team.
Crescent Hose Company No. 2 On the evening of December 31st, 1885, the Citizens Hose Company was formed at Main and Vine streets. Citizens Hose Company took residence at Borough Hall on Vine Street. On the same exact evening, on the other side of town, the Fuller Hose Company was formed after a donation from Ezra N. Fuller of one hundred dollars.With the completion of the water system and two hose companies on either side of town, the North East Borough enacted Ordinance 60 on Match 3rd, 1886, along with making Mr. Frank Wells the first Fire Chief of the fledgling North East Fire Department.
Crescent Hose now occupies the fire house located on E. Main St. and is operates the a 75' aerial a heavy duty rescue apparatus and the two Lifeline ambulances that serve the Borough and Township.