North East Borough Sewer Authority
The North East Borough Sewer Authority was incorporated in 1956 under the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Municipal Authorities Act of 1945. The Authority was formed to acquire, hold, construct, improve, maintain, operate, own and lease either in the capacity of lessor or lessee, sewers, sewer systems or parts thereof, sewage treatment works, including work for treating and disposing of industrial waste in North East Borough. The sewer system provides for collection and transmission of sewage, with treatment at the Boroughs two wastewater treatment plants. Sewage flows from North East Township are carried through the North East Borough system in accordance with agreements.
North East Borough operates and maintains the sewer system under a lease agreement with the Sewer Authority. Debt service payments are made by the Borough from sewer fees paid by the system's users. The Borough employs 10 people to operate and maintain the system. The sewer system contains approximately 20 miles of sewers and 3 pumping stations. The sewers range in size from 6-inch to 24-inch in diameter.
The Borough office staff consists of 3 full time personnel who administer the billing system for both the water and sewer. The Sewer Authority is made up of Borough residents and meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m. (when needed). All meetings are held at the Borough Hall at 31 West Main Street.
The Authority finished a $16 million construction project which increased capacity and modernized the system to meet current and future wastewater demands and regulations.